This is the original FileShredder - securely delete sensitive documents or quickly erase large files to free up space from your Mac, USB device, or external drive, bypassing the Trash. FileShredder provides a simple solution for shredding any file right away from your computer.
- Right-click (secondary click) on any file or folder and select "Shred" or "Secure Shred" to delete immediately. No app launching is required! (Start the app at least once to enable.)
- Or, drag-and-drop files to the application icon on the dock. Configure in Preferences whether to delete securely or not.
- A counter on the dock icon indicates the number of items remaining for deletion; a sound can be optionally played when done.
- Choose in Preferences one of three algorithms for secure deletion: 1 pass (fastest), 7 DoD-compliant passes, or 35 pass Gutmann deletion (safest).
- Press ⌘Q to abort further deletion.
Note: Please do not use the drag-and-drop method for deleting aliases and symbolic links. The operating system will instruct the app to delete the original files rather than the aliases or links.
|Q:||What is the difference between Shred and Secure Shred?|
While both options bypass the Trash to permanently delete files from the Mac, Secure Shred also overwrites the data on the hard drive so that it cannot be recovered whatsoever.
Shred deletes much faster since it doesn't overwrite the data on the hard drive, but the files may be recoverable until your computer reuses that space on the hard drive.
Here is an analogy for comparing different methods of deletion: